When we hear the price point of Php6,990, this is the sweet spot for spending for a new gadget, appliance, experiencial trip, or even in this case it might be your first smartphone. This price point for Php6,990 this price already equipped with some features rarely seen at this price point. Primarily, we observe the Redmi 12 to be a smartphone that combines good experience with good aesthetics, service a customer base that likes more of flavor for their smartphone.
Redmi 12 Specifications
- 6.79-inch FHD+ DotDisplay @ 2360 x 1080 pixels
- 90Hz refresh rate
- MediaTek Helio G88, 8 cores, up to 2.0GHz, Arm Mali-G52
- 8GB LPDDR4X RAM
- 128GB, 256GB eMMC 5.1 storage
- Supports expandable storage up to 1TB
- Triple rear cameras
- 50MP f/1.8 main
- 8MP f/2.2 ultra-wide
- 2MP f/2 macro lens
- 8MP f/2.1 front camera
- 4G LTE, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5.3
- GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, Beidou
- Fingerprint sensor, face unlock
- MIUI 14 based on Android 13
- 5000mAh battery, 18W fast charging
- IP53 splash, water, dust resistance
- 168.6 x 76.28 x 8.17 mm
- 198.5 grams
- Midnight Black, Sky Blue, Polar Silver
Our review will cover the perspective of a new smartphone
Sleek and elegant
The Redmi 12 doesn’t shout anything about performance when it comes to design, it sleek and subtle capturing a wider audience. We can see here that Redmi is becoming more of a simple design that can be felt with its glass back as it feels really different with its cold to touch temperature..
Good thing that the display of the Redmi 12 has a punchole camera that is more premium than drewdrop notches. This is a good. combination with its design that completes the overall package. The bezels are thinner than usual, but the smartphone is slightly taller than usual.
Our colorway, the Polar Silver is very subtle out of all the choices. We think this fits more into the introvert / female segment. But nevertheless this design is the safe and great for those who don’t need to shout out loud.
Stable Performance for Social and Entertainment
What I can confidently say is that Xiaomi isn’t at the bottom of the charts in performance here, the Helio G88 processor paired with the 8GB RAM and 128GB storage is a stable contender among the sea of smartphones here.
From navigation to socials, this smartphone doesn’t shout sluggishness but overall stable flow. Everything is just for casual usage that you can jump from app to app like from Facebook, Tiktok, Instagram, etc. while the floating messenger is active on top.
Gaming wise, this is just a casual gaming smartphone ideal for MLBB or COD. Tuned into High settings both refresh rate and graphics details.
Audio wise the speakers are loud but nothing special as this is only a single firing speaker, a bit of rumbling is felt in the body of the smartphone when in full volume.
Triple Camera System
Overall the triple-camera system on the Redmi 12 is overall-soft, encountering the problems of most smartphones at the price range. While photos can still tell stories, it has that distinguished softness and a little bit pale in color-range.
What we noticed is that it lacks in color range of red spectrum that can give more flavor, and warmth in photo story.
Just remember that in this triple camera system, it doesn’t have any special hardware or software to fight-off conditions that are challenging. This is still an entry-level price point smartphone, so be aware of what you are shooting and practice proper etiquette like avoid shaky hands and observe proper lighting especially for the ultra-wide camera.
Battery Wise – It’s a tank
The Helio G88, IPS display is a recipe for being power efficient along with the 5000mAh battery that is sleek on build. Though we are still disappointed seeing the traditional to becoming borderline below standard 18W charging which is a clamour that the community already ranting about 5000mAh smartphones in 2020.
While it can withstand 2 days in overall time of usage, maximize the features already by maxing out the 90Hz display and maximum brightness. We could have wished that at least a 25W charging could have made it more competitive versus others, then again a charging time of 2 hours is nothing if the battery is tank.
The Big Elephant Question
Why will I choose the Redmi 12 when other brands offers higher specifications for the same price?
You will encounter this question definitely especially when you roam stores around Cyberzone and encounter multiple sales representatives from smartphone brands. But remember that specs is not “everything” as purchasing your smartphone also entails you to your much deserved 1-year warranty mandated by the government.
Based on our observation and being a part of this industry as well a lot of consumers neglect this part. But it is importat to ask yourself this as well that we think the answer will still depend on per area basis.
– Xiaomi is here in the country for more than 5 years already with a stable after-sales footprint both direct after sales service centers and 3rd party service centers via their partner Citylight. So do your research that if your area is near a Xiaomi service center, its peace of mind for you should something happen to your smartphone.
– Xiaomi’s community is very active, rewarding their fans with great opportunities to become more progressive and creative through contests and seminars. It’s something a user that might be able to maximize from time to time
– Xiaomi has a robust ecosystem both for smartphone and smart home, whether you have no plans for smarthome yet or just about to start…then you will be exposed and might be even inspired where to start your journey. From Air Fryers to even air purifiers, surely Xiaomi got it all.
Redmi 12 Conclusion
The Redmi 12 considers not only hardcore “tech” enthusiasts, but also the overall demographics who wants a smartphone with stable performance, long endurance and a more flexible camera compared to others who just offers a depth sensor companion for this price point.
Competition is really tight this 2023, so it’s best to take advantage of the 8+128GB for the special price of Php6,990 instead of the regular price of the Php7,990. While there is a price of 8+256GB for Php8,990 the competition is too stiff already in that price point even compared to Xiaomi itself. Just take advantage of the e-commerce sales and you can get the Redmi Note 12 for less than 10k which upgrades your experience by a mile.
Redmi 12 Pros
- Thin-sleek and Glass back design
- Large storage and RAM even for the basic package
- Ultra-wide Camera in the package
- Stable Performance
Redmi 12 Cons
- 18W Charging is lackluster by 2023
- Tight competition over other models